All products featured on GQ are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What makes for the best men’s deodorant? There’s no single answer. We had to think of a lot of guys’ various wants and needs when it comes to pit care. For one, the right deodorant should neutralize your body’s signature musky scent, and prevent the proliferation of additional odorous bacteria. It also shouldn’t irritate the skin, nor should overpower any actual fragrance you might be wearing. Some guys will want an unscented deodorant, others will only take a natural deodorant, and others yet will only settle for sweat-stopping, aluminum-packed antiperspirants. (No judgments here.)
So rather than declare one single “best deodorant for men,” we factored in a huge array of variables and came up with a whole roster of picks. We’ve rounded up our favorite options below, at least one of which is sure to meet your specific needs.
How We Tested
Since deodorants aren’t a “one size fits all” product, our list reflects the best products we’ve tested in these various categories, like natural, antiperspirant, spray-on, rub-on, and more. There’s even a clinical pick for those who need top-tier coverage against odor.
What We Looked For
These are the things you should consider when buying a deodorant, and it’s also the rubric we used for our picks.
- How much do you sweat?
- If you sweat a lot, are you willing to go the aluminum antiperspirant route?
- Does your current deodorant cause irritation or a rash? (If so, you may need a product formulated for sensitive skin.)
- Do you want a mostly natural lineup of ingredients, or an entirely natural roster?
- What smells the best? (But of course.) Or, what lacks any scent at all? (If that’s your preference.)
The Best Men’s Deodorant, At a Glance
- The Best Natural Deodorant for Men, without Baking Soda: Hume Supernatural natural deodorant, $16
- The Best Natural Deodorant for Men, with Baking Soda: Schmidt’s unscented natural deodorant, $10
- The Best Classic Deodorant for Men: Old Spice classic scent deodorant, $6
- The Best Antiperspirant for Sweaty Guys: Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort dry spray antiperspirant, $7
- The Best Deodorant Cream for Men: AKT deodorant balm, £19
- The Best Deodorant Wipes for Men: Art of Sport body and face wipes (10 count), $16
- The Best AHA Deodorant for Men: Kosas AHA deodorant serum, $16
- The Best Clinical Antiperspirant for Men: Certain Dri clinical-strength antiperspirant, $9
- The Best Probiotic Deodorant for Men: Native natural deodorant with probiotics, $13
The Best Natural Deodorant for Men (Without Baking Soda)
- Key ingredients: Kaolin clay, tapioca starch, aloe vera, pre/probiotics
- Scented? No
Hume’s fragrance-free deodorant clears every checklist of a fully safe, sensitive-skin deodorant: a recipe that skips baking soda (which can be irritating to some skin), but one rich in pre/probiotics for balance and odor mitigation. It also has soothing aloe, as well as diatomaceous earth, kaolin, and tapioca starch to absorb stank and sweat.
The Best Natural Deodorant for Men, with Baking Soda
- Key ingredients: Magnesium, coconut oil, arrowroot powder
- Scented? No
If your skin reacts negatively to a deodorant, it might be a result of the product’s ingredients. Things like chemicals, alcohol, and perfume can give you a gnarly rash, which is precisely when you should start shopping for something less sciencey. Schmidt’s fragrance-free natural deodorant packs gentle but effective ingredients like magnesium and arrowroot powder, which together neutralize odorous bacteria. It also has coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, and Vitamin E, which leave skin extremely nourished and soothed. (Most pits will tolerate baking soda, a terrific deodorizer, but it is something that does give a minority of guys trouble.)
The Best Classic Deodorant for Men
- Formula: Synthetic blend
- Scented? Citrus and clove
The drugstore staple Old Spice has always offered some of the best deodorants—and the most affordable. You can buy one of their signature sticks for a third of the cost of a boutique brand. If it kept you from reeking like a dog in eighth-grade gym class, it sure as hell can keep you fresh now.
The Best Antiperspirant for The Gym and Other Sweaty Situations
- Formula: Synthetic blend, with aluminum
- Scented? Fresh linen
Profuse sweaters like me require aluminum cover up—knowing full well that it will eventually turn our white t-shirts dingy. And this spray from Dove Men+Care is the one I keep in tow. The spray hits my skin easier than a roll-on antiperspirant, which minimizes stains on shirts. It lasts well into the next day (two full days, if needed), and keeps me oh so comfortably dry.
The Best Deodorant Cream for Men
- Key ingredients: Diatomaceous earth, arrowroot powder, sodium bicarbonate, zinc oxide
- Scented? Cedar, eucalyptus, orange
Some folks prefer a finger-applied paste, cream, or balm, especially on trimmed or shaved pits. AKT’s chemical-free, natural formula is good on your skin, and its plastic-free packaging is good on the planet. The odor- and moisture-mitigating ingredient hard at work is diatomaceous earth, while coconut oil, calendula oil, and she abutter nourish the skin.
The Best Deodorant Wipes for Men
- Key ingredients: Peppermint oil, aloe vera, tea tree oil
- Scented? Minty
Art of Sport’s tingly mint wipes aren’t just for your pits: They also work on the body—after a workout or particularly punishing workday. (Goodbye swamp ass!) These cloths are individually packed, so that you can tote one in your pocket or gym bag for whenever they’re needed, and so they don’t dry out before you need them.
The Best AHA Deodorant for Men
- Key ingredients: Lactic acid, mandelic acid, aloe vera
- Scented? No
Chemical exfoliants are well loved for their ability to keep skin smooth, radiant, and to also prevent clogged pores. So how do these ingredients—specifically alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) such as lactic acid—benefit your underarms? They work by balancing pH levels to create a much less desirable environment for those odorous bacteria. And, hey, should you keep things trim under there, you’ll also have the smoothest, brightest pits in town.
The Best Clinical Antiperspirant for Men
- Key ingredients: 20% aluminum zirconium
- Scented? Fresh linen
“Clinical” is the key here: Certain Dri’s antiperspirant cranks up the aluminum so that it can counter the most severe types of sweat and hyperhidrosis. This one doesn’t necessarily last longer than the competition—nor is that the aim. Rather, it provides the strongest shield for an entire 24 hours, which is great news for those in dire need.
The Best Probiotic Deodorant for Men
- Key ingredients: Probiotics, baking soda, tapioca starch
- Scented? Cucumber mint
Probiotic products like Native’s deodorant help the good bacteria keep bad cultures at bay (especially in the underarm where bacteria festers and creates body odor). This one also uses baking soda to further thwart odor, and tapioca starch to soak up moisture, which also prevents the proliferation of bacteria in the first place.